Saturday, April 14, 2012

Whopper Blondie Bars


Hey, remember the last time you ate some Whoppers? Yeah, me either. No one does. Nobody at all. So when I saw this recipe for the first time, I thought to myself, "Yeah but where's the peanut butter? Or caramel? Or peanut butter?" And I think that's how most people feel about Whoopers too. Who cares about malt and where's the good stuff?!


It turns out, the good stuff happens when you put some Whoppers in the oven with some flour, sugar, and butter. It's magical. The malted center lends to a wonderful....maltiness? The bars take on an almost toffee-like flavor with a slightly chewy texture. The lowly Whopper finally has its day!



The original recipe for these bars calls for malted milk powder, which I didn't have on hand. And when I say "didn't have on hand" I mean "I have no idea where to find that and I'm kinda lazy." I decided to give it a try without the powder because life is all about taking risks guys. I definitely loved these bars even without the malted milk powder but I would imagine the powder would add even more malty depth and caramel-y flavor. Mmmmm... depth.

Do Whoppers a favor and make these beauties. Here's the recipe:

Whopper Blondie Bars (yields 18-24 bars)

Ingredients
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks (14 Tbsps) unsalted butter, room temperature, and cut into cubes
1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup of Whoppers, coarsely chopped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsps malted milk powder (optional)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and (optional) malted milk powder
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium until combined. Scrape the bowl and add eggs and vanilla and beat again until completely combined.
4. On low speed, slowly add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Add in the Whooper and chocolate chips and mix on low until evenly incorporated. The batter is thick and somewhat sticky.
5. Turn batter into the prepared pan and press evenly into the pan. It helps to dip your fingertips in water combat the stickiness.
6. Bake 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting and serving.

Yum!

recipe adapted from Smells Like Home

4 comments:

  1. Délicieux!!

    http://lepalaisgourmand.blogspot.ca/2012/12/blondies-aux-whoppers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED how the batter turned out in this recipe, but the whopper pieces were too crunchy in my taste! Do you have any ideas of how to avoid this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. im about to make these lets hope the hubby loves them he loves him some whoppers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would sub peanut butter for half the butter and increase flour to 3 cups, or keep same flour and add 3/4 cup quick oats. Throw in a couple raisins. Smash the milk duds with my kitchen aid to a fine powder. Make great taste amaze whopper balls! ♥

    ReplyDelete