Monday, December 29, 2014

Lipstick for: The Vamp

how to wear a vampy lip, easy vampy lipstick, drugstore vampy lipstick
Winter means an enthusiastic embrace of dark lipstick.  I tend to think that dark lipstick is the most flattering on me but it can certainly take some gumption to pull off.  It's bold!  It's dramatic!  It screams "Look at me, being all bold and dramatic!"

In my sizable lipstick collection, I've amassed a core collections of wearable vampy colors when the winter mood strikes. (In Chicago, that "winter mood" is September thru April but I digress).

And lah-di-da, they're all drugstore prices to boot!


how to wear a vampy lip, easy vampy lipstick, drugstore vampy lipstick
For my skintone, a cool, berry purpley-toned shade tends to look best.  Of course, use the tones that work best with your skin but either way, these formulas are my time tested faves.  Since I work in an office, I can't get too cray with colors without turning a few heads so I reach for formulas that lean on the shear side (mostly) or can easily be worn shear.  Vampy doesn't have to mean "deep dark purpley black."  The right tone can lend to a vampy look without frightening passerby.  
drugstore vampy lips, vampy lips swatches, how to wear a vampy lip, easy vampy lipstick, drugstore vampy lipstick
Here's the lowdown on my faves:

Maybelline Color Elixir in Caviar Couture- In the tube, this looks like the deepest boldest color.  Because of the glossiness though, it becomes more wearable than a flat matte formula in the same shade.  I'd describe this color as a deep wine-y berry with a hint of purpley-ness tucked somewhere in there.  I tend to use this as a gloss on top of a different shade so I get a hint of the deep color without full-on vamp.  

The Body Shop Color Crush in 235- I love these Body Shop lipsticks and I have about 10 shades already.  The swatch below actually reads quite pink but in person, it's distinctly purpley.  It's a great shade of purple that is just wearable enough without looking just wrong.  It's got a bit of a pearlescence to it which sometimes can really look dated but with a neutral eye, this color looks frosty and icy but still chic.  

Revlon Matte Balm Stain in Shameless- This is certainly the most purple of all the lipsticks I own and it can definitely read quite dark worn straight out of the tube.  I'd be hesitant to wear this to the office because it can really be quite bold but if applied with a brush or sheared out with your fingers, it can actually be daytime appropriate.  I really enjoy wearing this full-on for a night out in the winter months (and let's be real, that's rare) but a deep dark vampy look.  

Revlon Super Lustrous in Black Cherry- This is probably the most classic and most red of all the vampy shades I own.  It's a gorgeous berry red color that has a great sheeny finish.  If I wear this to work, I tend to apply this with a brush and create a bit of a stain first.  Then I'll go in with the tube and apply another layer.  It lasts a long time and leaves the lips looking like you've been enjoying several glasses of red wine.  
drugstore vampy lips, vampy lips swatches, how to wear a vampy lip, easy vampy lipstick, drugstore vampy lipstick, revlon matte balm in shameless, revlon cherries in the snow
Top to bottom: Body Shop 235, Maybelline Color Elixir, Revlon Black Cherries, Revlon Matte Balm in Shameless
I say take advantage of the cold and clouds while you can and throw on a vampy shade at every opportunity.  

So what are your favorite vampy shades?  
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment